CROSSROADS - The Never Ending EU Crises and the COVID-19 Pandemic Outbreak
II EDITION | ON SITE | APPLICATION
Deadline for Registration
April 11th, 2022
Giuseppe Martinico, David Natali, Edoardo Bressanelli
May 23th -27th, 2022
The Seasonal School aims to offer a critical assessment of the current governance structure of the EU and the key policies designed to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic. It will evaluate the impact of the pandemic crisis together with the previous crises which had hit the EU at least since 2010. In such a difficult context, the pandemic crisis could represent both a factor of disintegration and an opportunity to deepen integration and create a more supranational union. The Seasonal School delves deep into these scenarios, focusing on the new tools and institutions set up to manage the effects of the pandemic crisis and the complex relationship between the Union and the member states. In order to understand the tensions and interpret the changes brought about by this unprecedented crisis, the School will provide an interdisciplinary perspective based on public and comparative law, EU and comparative politics, and policy analysis.
By the end of the School, students will be able to:
- Critically analyse the recent key events and developments in the pandemic and other EU crises and their impact at the national, supranational and transnational levels;
- Develop methodological skills – across different disciplines, perspectives and approaches – to assess the complexity of the crisis;
- Gain advanced knowledge of EU politics and law and acquire transferable skills to work in the EU institutions, think-tanks, interest groups, and in academia.
Students will be exposed to a problem-based and research-led teaching methodology and will be asked to actively contribute to the programme. Classes will be interactive and mix frontal teaching with case-studies, simulations, group discussions and presentations. Practitioners and policy experts will participate to the program presenting their experience.
Who should attend this Seasonal School?
Undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD students from different backgrounds (e.g. law, political science, economics, management, languages, history, philosophy) who are keen to develop an advanced understanding of EU law and politics.
Coordinator and key teaching staff
- Professor Giuseppe Martinico (coordinator)
- Professor David Natali (coordinator)
- Dr Edoardo Bressanelli (coordinator)
- Dr. Francesca Biondi Dal Monte (teaching staff)
- Dr. Giacomo Delledonne (teaching staff)
- Dr. Serena Giusti (teaching staff)
- Dr. Andrea Terlizzi (teaching staff)