DeTOP - Dexterous Transradial Osseointegrated Prosthesis with neural control and sensory feedback
DeTOP (Dexterous Transradial Osseointegrated Prosthesis with neural control and sensory feedback) is a Research and Innovation Action funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 framework programme for Research and Innovation (LEIT-ICT-24-2015, GA #687905) with 5+ M€.
DeTOP addresses the scientific, technological and clinical problem of recovery of hand function after amputation. Core of this project is the osseointegrated human-machine gateway (OHMG), a bone-anchoring technique developed and pioneered at the University of Gothenburg and Integrum AB in Sweden, able to create bidirectional links between the human and a robotic prosthesis (see video below). Within DeTOP we will translate, exploit and appraise the already proven technology for trans-humeral amputation to the most frequent case of transradial amputation. In other words we aim to develop a technology that is based on the use of osseointegration as a long-term stable solution for the direct skeletal attachment of limb prostheses, physiologically appopriate control and close-to-natural sensory feedback.
DeTOP is coordinated by prof. Christian Cipriani at Scuola Sant’Anna and involves the following European universities, research centres and SMEs: Goeteborgs Universitet, Lund Universitet, University of Essex, Prensilia Srl, Integrum AB, CSEM - Centre Suisse d’Electronique de Microtechnique, Campus Biomedico University of Rome (UCBM), Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli (IOR), INAIL.
Details and current status of the project are available on the DeTOP website.
FUNDER: European Commission
GRANT NO.: 687905
PERIOD: 2016-2021 (60 months)
FUNDING (to AHA): 770 k€
FUNDING (total): 5.1 M€
- N. Malesevic, A. Olsson, P. Sager, E. Andersson, C. Cipriani, M. Controzzi, A. Björkman, C. Antfolk, "A database of high-density surface electromyogram signals comprising 65 isometric hand gestures,"Scientific Data, vol. 8, no. 63, 2021;
- I. J. R. Martínez, A. Mannini, F. Clemente, & C. Cipriani, “Online Grasp Force Estimation From the Transient EMG,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering,vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2333-2341, 2020;
- L. Cappello, W. Alghilan, M. Gabardi, D. Leonardis, M. Barsotti, A. Frisoli, C. Cipriani, "Continuous supplementary tactile feedback can be applied (and then removed) to enhance precision manipulation,"Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 120-133, 2020;
- E. Mastinu, L.F. Engels, F. Clemente, M. Dione, P. Sassu, O. Aszmann, et al,"Neural feedback strategies to improve grasping coordination in neuromusculoskeletal prostheses," Scientific Reports, vol. 10, no. 11793, 2020;
- I.J.R. Martinez, A. Mannini, F. Clemente, A.M. Sabatini, & C. Cipriani, "Grasp force estimation from the transient EMG using high-density surface recordings," Journal of Neural Engineering, vol. 17, no. 16052, 2020;
- N. Malesevic, A. Björkman, G. Andersson, A. Matran-Fernandez, L. Citi, C. Cipriani, and C. Antfolk, "A database of multi-channel intramuscular electromyogram signals during isometric hand muscles contractions," Scientific Data, vol. 7, no. 10, 2020;
- A. Matran-Fernandez, I. J. Rodriguez-Martinez, R. Poli, C. Cipriani, L. Citi, "SEEDS, simultaneous recordings of high-density EMG and finger joint angles during multiple hand movements," Scientific Data, vol. 6, no. 186, 2019;
- E. Mastinu, F. Clemente, P. Sassu, O. Aszmann, R. Brånemark, B. Håkansson, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, and M. Ortiz-Catalan, Grip control and motor coordination with implanted and surface electrodes while grasping with an osseointegrated prosthetic hand, Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 2019;
- L. F. Engels, A. W. Shehata, E. J. Scheme, J. W. Sensinger, C. Cipriani, "When Less is More—Discrete Tactile Feedback Dominates Continuous Audio Biofeedback in the Integrated Percept while Controlling a Myoelectric Prosthetic Hand," Frontiers in Neuroscience, vol. 13, no. 578, 2019;
- N. Malesevic, G. Andersson, A. Björkman, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, C. Antfolk, Instrumented platform for assessment of isometric hand muscles contractions, Measurement Science and Technology, 2019;
- I. Boni, J. Millenaar, M. Controzzi, M. O. Catalan, Restoring Natural Forearm Rotation in Transradial Osseointegrated Amputees, IEEE Transactions on Neural System and Rehabilitation Engineering, November 2018;
- M. Aboseria, F. Clemente, L. F. Engels, C. Cipriani, "Discrete Vibro-Tactile Feedback Prevents Object Slippage in Hand Prostheses More Intuitively Than Other Modalities," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1577-1584, 2018;
- G. Kanitz, C. Cipriani, B. B. Edin, "Classification of Transient Myoelectric Signals for the Control of Multi-Grasp Hand Prostheses," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1756-1764, 2018;
- A. W. Shehata, L. F. Engels, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, E. J. Scheme, J. W. Sensinger, "Improving internal model strength and performance of prosthetic hands using augmented feedback," Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, vol. 15, no. 70, 2018;
- G. Kanitz, F. Montagnani, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, "Compliant Prosthetic Wrists Entail More Natural Use Than Stiff Wrists During Reaching, Not (Necessarily) During Manipulation," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1407-1413, 2018;
- L. Ferrari, S. Sudha, S. Tarantino, R. Esposti, F. Bolzoni, P. Cavallari, C. Cipriani, V. Mattoli, F. Greco, "Ultraconformable Temporary Tattoo Electrodes for Electrophysiology," Advanced Science, vol. 5(3), no. 1700771, 2018;
- N. Maleševic, D. Markovic, G. Kanitz, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, C. Antfolk, "Vector Autoregressive Hierarchical Hidden Markov Models for Extracting Finger Movements Using Multichannel Surface EMG Signals," Complexity, vol. 2018, no. 9728264, 2018;
- F. Clemente, B. Håkansson, C. Cipriani, J. Wessberg, K. Kulbacka-Ortiz, R. Brånemark, K. Fredén Jansson, M. Ortiz-Catalan, "Touch and Hearing Mediate Osseoperception," Scientific Reports, vol. 7, no. 45363, pp. 1-11, 2017;
- F. Montagnani, M. Controzzi, C. Cipriani, "Independent Long Fingers are not Essential for a Grasping Hand," Scientific Reports, vol. 6, no. 35545, pp. 1-9, 2016.